Thursday, July 18, 2013

Chair's Corner: Getting Schooled on Leadership

By Hilary Donatini
Greetings from the chair of the English department! I've been quietly performing my duties since the middle of May, taking care of matters large and small and settling into the role. I look forward very much to helping students discover the opportunities within our majors and supporting faculty in their missions of teaching, scholarship, and service. 

This past weekend I was fortunate to attend the Council of Colleges of Arts and Sciences Seminar for Department Chairs in Indianapolis. The conference was a useful venue for reflecting on what it means to be a department chair and formulating big-picture goals, in addition to providing some practical strategies for handling day-to-day tasks. I met a number of wonderful people from around the region.

As the school year approaches, I am preparing to teach English 406: Seventeenth-Century English Literature, organizing Sigma Tau Delta events, responding to registration and enrollment queries, planning various department activities, and much more.

After spending the beginning of the summer cleaning out my previous office and moving down the hall, I am now in 117 Bixler. Please stop by or make an appointment!