Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Find Yourself in Writing: Writing Assistant and English Major on Discovering One's Passions

By Bethany Meadows, English major
Bethany Meadows at the Coliseum in Rome
Everyone strives to find his or her passions in life, and sometimes discovering these passions appear out of no where. During my first two months at the Writing Studio, I have discovered more about myself than I could have ever imagined through my first experience being a Writing Assistant. My job is to collaborate with students and provide a voice of experience to assist them with their papers.

I use the word “job” loosely because it does not feel like work to me. Every appointment and assignment is different for each student, and there are many tasks Writing Assistants perform. We help students with thesis development, paper structure and organization, engaging with their readings, MLA and APA style, and much more. We do not proofread or edit, but we collaborate with students to make sure their paper is the best it can be. I love this aspect of “work” because every appointment is unique in its own way. These experiences lead me not only to be the best peer consultant I can be, but also to be the best writer I can be.

Throughout my first two months at the Writing Studio, I found myself. The moment came to me like the cliché, lightning bolt of discovery. I had the moment of enlightenment where I suddenly knew that I wanted to work in English-related environments for the rest of my life. I love coming into “work” every day to help others become what I know they are all capable of.

Therefore, the next day, I changed my major to English. I knew that I could not trudge through the rest of my life being unhappy in careers related to my former major. English lights a fire within me that cannot be extinguished. I never knew that kind of fervor existed until I found my calling in helping others with their writing.

The Writing Studio has become my passion, and I have learned many lessons about life by “working” here. Firstly, I learned how to help others become better writers through insight on my own strengths and weaknesses as a writer. It is reiterated to me daily that no work is ever perfect, and everything can be constantly improved and cultivated. Secondly, I knew that I had found my path in life, which is arguably one of the best experiences in the world. Finally, I learned that sometimes the most incredible experiences happen for a reason in people’s lives. I never imagined that such a seemingly simple concept could lead me to find such complex ideas of love, passion, and determination. I could not be happier for the experience the Writing Studio provides me in my writing, in my life, and in my future goals. However, the help that this experience provides for me is nothing in comparison to the benefits for other students.

If you are interested in visiting the Writing Studio, come visit Room 104 in Bixler any time Monday to Thursday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Also, to learn more, check out the website for the Writing Studio here.