Monday, January 23, 2017

Faculty Spotlight: Dr. Naomi Saslaw

Dr. Naomi Saslaw, Professor of English
Q: How many years have you taught at Ashland?

A: 47 years


Q: What are some of the courses that you teach?

A: English 101 (Comp I) and English 102 (Comp II), Shakespeare (English 317), Readings in Jewish Literature (English 340), Literature of Crime and Retribution (English 360), Literature of Early England (English 401), Renaissance Literature (English 404).


Q: What are your favorite aspects of being a professor?


A: I very much enjoy discussing different interpretations of literature with the students. I have always loved learning and will always continue to learn. It is a privilege to interact with our students and to both help them to learn and to grow as people.


Q: What made you decide to become a professor?

A: I have always loved learning. The university is an ideal community in which to help students to grow and to continue to learn myself. When I was a senior at the University of Michigan, I was nominated for a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship and encouraged to teach on the college level. 



Q: What scholarly projects are you working on?

A: I am working on a presentation for a conference in April in San Diego on Dax (a medical ethics case arguing for a severely burned individual’s right to die) and a memoir’s discussion of how a terminally ill individual learns how to live more fully.


Q: What else would you like to share with the readers of this blog?

A: I would love to hear about some of your interests, your plans for your future, your creative and literary interests, and some of your interdisciplinary interests.