Monday, February 12, 2018

Dr. Joe Mackall Wins Sixth Mentor Award

On January 26, 2018, Joe Mackall, Professor of English and Director of Creative Writing, won his sixth Academic Mentor Award at Ashland University. Given that many professors on campus have never won one of these awards, to win six is extraordinary, and the English Department is honored to have this committed educator among its ranks.


Maggie Andrews and Dr. Joe Mackall

Maggie Andrews, a senior Creative Writing major from Mansfield, Ohio, nominated Mackall for the award. An excerpt from Andrews's nomination letter details Mackall's role in her academic growth:

Joe has a wealth of knowledge and experience that he shares with his students. He is a published writer, but I have never met someone so well-versed in what it takes to become a writer. He guides us as an equal, like we all share common frustrations. I have looked at my creative works from the start of my college journey to now and I can’t believe the difference. One hundred pages no longer scares me. I have fought through bad habits as he has mentioned them.

Dr. Joe Mackall was the reason I came to Ashland University, the reason I stayed at Ashland University, and the reason why I am prepared to graduate from Ashland University. I have grown as a student and as a person under his mentorship. His office door is always open. I am constantly bugging him and he never complains. He provides valuable criticism and feedback that has molded my abilities. He has given me confidence in writing. Joe is not the average professor. He goes above and beyond to take care of his students. When I walk into one of his classes, I feel like a weight has lifted off of my chest. I am comfortable in there and it never feels like class. It feels like a fun exercise that I’m discussing with peers. 


The day I achieve my dreams, dreams that I have had since being a little girl, I will remember Joe Mackall. I will remember his kindness, his humor, his knowledge, and his ambition. I will remember him and I will thank him. I will thank him for everything he has done for me and my writing. I will thank him for a great college experience. I will thank him for helping me become the person I am today. I will thank him for helping me to achieve my dreams, a debt I will never be able to repay.

Mackall's response to winning the award reflects his rapport with his students:

There's nothing better than being a mentor, especially when it comes to working with other writers. If I were really doing my job right, I'd be a mentor to every one of my creative writing students. I have to say that having a student like Maggie Andrews gives me an unfair advantage in the mentoring game. Maggie is a first-rate writer. She's talented, intelligent, open to and eager for criticism. She's also an amazingly good human being. With Maggie Andrews as a student, I should receive the luckiest professor alive award. 


Congratulations, Dr. Mackall!