Monday, July 16, 2018

Alumni Spotlight: Mercedes (McGee) Over



By Mercedes (McGee) Over, class of 2014, Integrated Language Arts major

Currently, I teach 11th and 12th grade English at Pioneer Career and Technology Center in Shelby, Ohio. This position is my first full-time teaching job, and it has been one of the hardest yet most rewarding jobs I have ever had. Now that I am about to embark on my fourth year of teaching, I am starting to feel more confident in my abilities and I am excited to see what the future holds as I continue to teach and further my own education.

To explain where it all began, my teaching journey actually started prior to attending Ashland University. During my senior year of high school I had the opportunity to take Teaching Professions at Penta Career Center and this program helped me to decide what subject and grade level I wanted to pursue. From there I was able to select the undergraduate institution that was right for me. I visited Ashland knowing that it was one of the best schools in the state of Ohio to prepare educators, but I soon fell in love with the English Department due to the outstanding faculty members and their ability to engage students in their classes and learning materials.
Mercedes (McGee) Over and Andrew Over
While taking these classes and sitting in on multiple intellectual discussions about literature, culture, and writing techniques, I felt inspired to take that insight and share it with others. So towards the end of my undergraduate experience, it seemed like I was fully prepared to take on teaching at the high school level; however, I have since realized that just because I am inspired by the thematic implications in Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein that does not automatically mean that others share that same passion.

As I have continued to grow in my teaching career, I often think back on those times when I was taking my English courses at AU. The professors had a way of making students feel invested in the material, and this has made me think, “What can I do to get my students motivated?” This thought has led to the creation of so many activities and assessments for my classroom, and now I am getting the chance to go even further with the addition of technology and devices.

Most recently I have become a leader for technology integration by being involved with the implementation of Chromebook devices for the students at my school. Throughout this process I have explored a variety of online tools and programs, and I have educated myself through technology workshops and conferences. With acquiring all of this newly-found knowledge I have even had the ability to share my findings with other members on the staff. At this point my credentials and experiences continue to expand, and with this expansion I believe that I will continue to do well in my contributions to the field of education.