Friday, September 14, 2018

English Major Jordan Martin Completes Grant Writing Internship

English major Jordan Martin shares what she learned from her summer internship.

This past summer, I interned in the University Grants and Foundation Relations Office at Ashland University. Through this internship, I was able to learn the different aspects of writing proposals and managing earned grants. For example, I performed many hours of research regarding different foundations that accept grant requests and wrote multiple letters of intent to various foundations. I learned how programs at AU are started and executed. Additionally, I was able to use and improve my critical thinking, researching, and writing skills in this position as I worked with my mentor, Sharon Lowe. The main objectives of my internship were to 1) learn how to write grant proposals and other important documents and 2) advance Ashland University through the projects my mentor had planned. I enjoyed serving Ashland University in a way that will deliver visible results in the next few years.
This internship opportunity has been invaluable to me. I appreciate getting hands-on experience in seemingly every aspect of grant writing. Additionally, Sharon has been an amazing mentor who encouraged me throughout my internship. The greatest takeaways I have from this experience are learning that I have the capability to be successful in this career field and that I definitely want to pursue a career in grant writing. This internship has given me confidence that I can be successful in writing grant proposals for nonprofit organizations and that I can make a difference through my work.


Jordan is committed to writing excellence in a variety of contexts. In addition to perfecting her skills with grant writing, she is also a Writing Assistant at the University Writing Center, where she assists other students in developing their own writing skills.