Saturday, September 21, 2019

Senior English/Creative Writing Major Sara Ludwig Traveled to Greece with Honors Program

Senior English/Creative Writing Major Sara Ludwig in Greece with Honors Program Summer 2019

This past summer I had the privilege of traveling with AU’s Honors Program all the way to Greece! Having gone on the previous Honor’s trip to Ireland, I was beyond excited to explore a new country, especially one with a vastly different climate. From the moment I arrived I was in awe of the place. We ventured to many historic sites, including the Parthenon at the Acropolis in Athens, and the infamous Archaea Olympia where the first Olympic Games were held among others things. While I adore and appreciate the amazing architecture we saw, what I loved most was the landscape. My favorite place we went to was Cape Sounion, located near the southern tip of Greece. Situated on the edge of a seaside cliff was the Temple of Poseidon, with waves splashing up in the distance and purple wildflowers growing all around. I was fortunate to have worn my tennis shoes that day as I was able to climb down one of the rock faces and wade into the water, making a beautiful place seem even more spectacular. On top of the stunning scenery, something really cool about the Temple of Poseidon is that over the centuries various people have carved their names into some of the columns. One of those names is none other than Lord Byron. Yes, the poet, Lord Byron. It couldn’t get any better than that. It was the absolute highlight of the trip, and I will never forget all of the wonderful adventures and people who accompanied me along the way.