Friday, June 12, 2020

Alumni Spotlight: Brian Stevens


By Brian Stevens
Class of 2011
English and Journalism major
Court-Appointed Guardian and Volunteers Coordinator

I graduated from Ashland University in spring, 2011. After a brief stint in direct marketing, I left for South Korea to teach English as a Second Language. I had a wonderful time in Seoul. When I had the chance, I hostel-hopped around Cambodia and Vietnam. After completing just one contract in Korea, however, I returned to the US. I meant to be overseas again soon, specifically Malaysia, even taking TESL classes to boost my application. I found “temporary” work coordinating a volunteer program for a small hospice in Cleveland. 

I recruited, trained, assigned, and supervised hospice volunteers. I also had plenty of client visits of my own and quickly learned to love the work. My hospice team was incredible. Their dedication and caring inspired me to take up new direction for my life and stick around Cleveland for a while. I sometimes sat ‘vigil’ with our actively dying patients. Those were strangely peaceful, still nights spent at dimly lit bedsides. I offered whatever comfort I could. Often that meant just being there.

It took a while, but I learned that the only work for me is with people in need. After several years at my “temporary” job, I was offered a position at a much larger hospice. They had no functional volunteer program and meant to change that. With big plans in mind, I established a growing population of qualified volunteers. Barely into my new position, I was suddenly laid off as our programs were rolled back statewide. I had another opportunity to reinvent myself, and I did.

Throughout my short-lived hospice career, I noticed that many of our patients were without family or close friends. They often had a guardian appointed to them, so that they had one person outside the care team visiting and advocating their needs. Lutheran Metropolitan Ministry’s Guardianship Services is a nonprofit guardianship provider for some of Cleveland’s poorest, most vulnerable populations. I now coordinate their volunteer guardian program which includes legal guardians, pro-bono attorneys, and occasional friendly visitors. I’m also a staff guardian working on becoming a National Certified Guardian.

LMM’s Guardianship Services provides probate-appointed guardians to indigent adults mainly in Cuyahoga and Lorain Counties. Most of our clients have debilitating dementia or severe mental illness. With little money, and no one to step into the role of decision maker, we are often their last resort.

Still in Cleveland, with pride, I’ve had a pretty good time since my college days. Just as at home in the woods as I am downtown, I spend most of my spare time hiking, kayaking, and finding and photographing wild mushrooms. I’m a member of the Ohio Mushroom Society and frequent other outdoor recreation clubs. I have no plans to leave anytime soon. There’s too much to do for one thing. I also get to stay nearer my best friends. Of course, I mean the ones I met at Ashland University.