Monday, April 18, 2022

Graduating Senior Spotlight: Part One

The Department of Languages and Literatures wishes its graduating seniors the best as they apply for jobs and begin the exciting transition to the next chapter of their lives! This post is the first installment in a series to spotlight these seniors, who generously shared their favorite memory of being a major in the department and their post-graduation plans.


Madeline Worcester

I am an Integrated Language Arts major at Ashland University.


Since I have been extremely involved with the English Department for the duration of my college career, I have numerous experiences I would classify as "favorites" not only from the department exclusively, but of my college experience altogether. Ironically, my best and most treasured moments of college stem from my current internship off-campus at Medina High School, where I serve as the student teacher for AU alumnus David Mohn. We have been able to share countless laughs and stories of Ashland throughout the years, and we have spent many free periods discussing books, pedagogy, theatre, and various trivia. His guidance has made me a tremendously better teacher and person overall. 

I also had the chance to work for the MFA in Creative Writing program for two consecutive summers. The MFA community is so vibrant and captivating, and the opportunities available for both students and interns are simply phenomenal. I am so fortunate that I was able to hone my own craft while supporting the education of others through this unique summer opportunity. Furthermore, I am excited to serve as the intern for my third summer this year as the program transitions back to an in-person model.

My other favorite memories naturally stem from the classes I took within the department, where I was able to engage with brilliant peers and educators alike. I enjoyed taking Dr. Waterman's full American Literature course rotation, especially when my friend (a bored nursing major) randomly shadowed our American Literature IV class one day while we read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five, and Dr. Waterman fully endorsed her participation. Conversations about grass, fish, eyeballs, and sledding were never dull. I also appreciated classes with Dr. Mondal and Dr. Grady due to the support of open perspectives and the depth of student-centered class activities. I have adopted double entry journals into my classroom as a result of Dr. Grady's classes, and I have learned so much about global literature and fandom culture from these two inspiring women.

After I graduate, I plan to teach high school students in the Northeast Ohio area, and I will continue to write novels and poetry on the side.



Danielle Brown

Ashland University and particularly the English Department have played a huge role in my life throughout these last four years. My very first memory was the mentor meeting my freshman year where seniors told us that we would have a wonderful time in the department because all of the professors were wholly dedicated to their students and furthering their education. I can truly say that that ideal has been upheld! Some of my personal favorite memories are when I was in Studies in Shakespeare my freshman year and Dr. Saslaw was acting out a scene from a play. Out of nowhere she yelled at the top of her lungs and everyone jumped! The part called for drama and she delivered! I didn't think that a sound that big could come from a woman that small!

Another group of memories I recall with fondness is the in-depth discussions held in Dr. Waterman's class about British vs. American foods and ideals. I learned just as much from the class content as I did from the side conversations and less conventional experiences that will stay with me forever!

In the department, creativity was always inspired. There was never a bad idea, only ideas that needed more development. The unspoken rules of mutual respect, kindness, and a love of learning truly made me feel welcome and cared about in my academics and personal life. It was clear to me from the beginning that the professors in the department were passionate about their respective fields and were eager to cultivate the next generation of learners and teachers. 

I am attending Kent State University this coming fall and will be in their online Masters of Library and Information Science program with a specialization in cataloguing. I will be living in the Norwalk area, but hope to stay involved and close to Ashland and the campus I have called home over the past four years. I am planning to start work right after graduation and work through the next two years of my education before finding a job in my field of interest. I hope to instill the same love for education and knowledge in my library patrons that I have received from my mentors and professors within the English department. 

Andreas Cook

My favorite moments would have to be the conversations that I have had with my professors. My post-graduation plans are to continue learning what I can about music theory and sound design so that I can create electronic music.