Saturday, April 22, 2023

Graduating Senior Spotlight: Part Two

The Department of Languages and Literatures wishes its graduating seniors the best as they apply for jobs and begin the exciting transition to the next chapter of their lives! This post is the second and final installment in a series to spotlight these seniors, who generously shared their favorite memory of being a major in the department and their post-graduation plans.

 Kayti Bowles

I began my journey at Ashland University in a very unconventional way. Having already attended four years of undergrad at a previous university from 2015-2019, returning to college was by no means the next step in my five-year-plan. I found myself feeling overwhelmingly unfulfilled though, grappling with the fact that my passions had no place in my career. After much contemplation, I turned to AU in hopes that I could become the writer I’ve always wanted to be.  

While I’ve had the experience I came to AU looking for, I’ve found so much more, too. My time in the Department of Languages and Literatures has not only improved my creative writing skills, but provided me a place to feel validated and encouraged by many professors and like-minded students. A further passion for classic literature has been fostered in me, as well. I will never forget reading Slaughterhouse-Five with Dr. Waterman in particular, a few months into my own PTSD diagnosis. I felt understood for the first time. Upon finishing the book, she showed the class her necklace; it was a line from the text which reads “so it goes.” I began to see that even when a story is confusing and messy, someone like her could pick it up, appreciate the words, and see art in it. I look at my own life story more gracefully now… So it goes.

After graduation, I plan to focus on my kids and writing full-time. My dream is to be a published author, and after everything I’ve learned, I won’t give up on that. I’m currently working on two projects—a book of poems called An Exquisite Corpse, and a novel titled The Last Twelve. Thank you so much to the Department of Languages and Literature for guiding me these past two years. You’ve all helped me find myself. 

Ellie Richardson


I have immensely enjoyed my time studying English here at AU. English has been a long-time love of mine, but through classes and working with professors it has grown stronger and deeper. As I have taken more classes and been introduced to different works and time periods, my grasp of humanity and all its complexities has been rebuilt and fortified with a better understanding. I have taken much joy from connecting the patterns of history along with the stories and writings, deeply analyzing and grappling with the human condition, to reveal truths evident today within myself and my peers.

Dr. Weaver’s Russian Novel course was one of those classes for me. I found myself in a world of the great Russian thinkers, reading Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov, and Tostoy's War and Peace. This class opened my eyes to the depths of the human soul and made me think about things such as what it means to have faith as well as to suffer and to love. I was so impacted by these novels and Dr. Weaver's way of teaching, I chose to study The Brothers Karamazov for my thesis and explore the dichotomy of the head and the heart within one of the characters, Ivan Karamazov. It has been a joy and a massive growing journey working with Dr. Weaver on this project and I will carry the experience with me long after my time at AU.

I took many wonderful classes within the English department, including some I was not expecting to enjoy, but loved such as Dramatic Literature with Dr. Donatini and American Literature III with Dr. Waterman. All deepened my understanding of humanity as well as challenged ideas and perceptions I had through periods of history and time.

These classes and professors were extremely beneficial in growing my passion for English as well as my understanding of humanity. I loved the smaller class sizes and professors were always more than willing to meet with me about papers or questions I had and give good reflective feedback. I have become a better writer and thinker, and I believe human, after my four years of exposure to great works and wonderful professors, and will always look back on my years learning here fondly. Thank you all

Tia Shanklin


I have loved every minute of my time in this department. I have always loved reading and writing, so I knew when I came in as a freshman that I would have a great time. I started out with just a major in creative writing, but I branched out to eventually double major with English. That was one decision that I have never regretted. Through this department, I was able to meet and befriend many amazing and wonderful people that I hope to keep in touch with after graduation. Looking back at who I was when I first came to Ashland, I can really see and understand the growth that has happened with the help of this department and everyone in it. I don’t believe that I would be the same person I am today without my experiences with this department.

Sometimes classes would get hard, but the end result was always worth the struggle like any good challenge is. From going down rabbit holes trying to figure out Slaughterhouse Five with Dr.Waterman to debating about Edmund in Mansfield Park with Dr.Weaver, there is always a fun and interesting discussion happening in these classes. I used to think that I would never be able to analyze literature the way we do in class, but the professors helped me grow into the mindset needed to appreciate literature for more than just its story. Dr. Sundberg also helped me grow into my voice with creative writing. I’m grateful for everything that I’ve been taught and shown in my four years here.

It still hasn’t hit me that I’ll be graduating soon. There are still so many books I want to read and discuss. There are so many people that I want to spend more time with and get to know more about. I want to continue the fun times in class. If I got the chance, I would do it all over again. There is not one thing I regret, but I do know that I will miss everything and everyone. I want to thank everyone in this department for an amazing four years.