Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Alumni Spotlight: Kelly (Taylor) Strobel


Kelly (Taylor) Strobel 
Class of 2009 
Integrated Language Arts major 

Current Job: 8th Grade Language Arts Teacher 

I always wanted to be a teacher. When I was little, I had an entire school set up in my basement complete with chalkboards, tables, and a class of dolls. Although I originally wanted to teach at the elementary level, my love of the classics in high school led me to major in grade 7-12 Integrated Language Arts.

Ashland University is a place I hold close to my heart, especially since it is where I met my husband Matthew. My proudest moment was receiving the Outstanding Senior award from AU English Department. This award was the culmination of four years of rigorous work that included conferencing with professors, spending late nights revising essays, and carefully planning my four-year schedule so that I could also minor in English and Creative Writing.

On a daily basis, I still find myself reflecting on the many lessons I have learned from the AU English professors. When building rapport with my students, I think back to the personal touch Dr. Lehman brought to class in sharing his stories about South Africa. When instructing my students to cite details from a text, I recall the arduous task of analyzing a single word in Dr. Weaver’s classes. When teaching students about the message of tolerance and the value of human life in reading The Diary of Anne Frank or how to understand the humorous dialogue in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, I remember the insightful discourse from Dr. Saslaw’s Jewish Literature and Shakespeare classes. When leading a discussion, I recall the questioning techniques of Dr. Waterman. When calling on hesitant students to participate, I think back to nervously reading my non-fiction in Dr. Mackall’s class; ultimately, going outside my comfort zone made me a better writer. When planning engaging activities, I remember how much I enjoyed watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and analyzing its title from the line in “Eloisa to Abelard” in Dr. Donatini’s class. 


Last but not least, I think back to the memories of Dr. Levine and Dr. Stratton. Dr. Levine once told me I could pursue a Ph.D. in English if I wanted to; to this day, that advice and compliment coming from him still means so much to me. This memory is a reminder for me to be a voice of encouragement for my students. Likewise, the sharp wit and jocular nature of Dr. Stratton is a reminder for me to keep a sense of humor. He always had the class laughing, but I can still remember his tip for identifying prepositions: “It’s what the rabbit does to the log—he jumps over the log, goes in the log, sits on the log, and so on.” I will also never forget that Dr. Stratton was a strong opponent of the five paragraph essay; he did not want students to feel limited by an organizational structure and unable to express themselves.

As a Language Arts teacher, it is my job and privilege to help students think critically and acquire the necessary reading comprehension and writing skills to be prepared for the future. It is also my job to help them navigate the often challenging and awkward years of adolescence, provide support when they need it most, and hopefully motivate them to pursue their passions in life. I believe the impact a teacher has on a student’s life is immeasurable. The lessons I have learned from the AU English Department professors have certainly stayed with me and inspired me throughout the first decade of my teaching career, and for that, I am incredibly grateful.