Saturday, July 13, 2019

Alumni Spotlight: Kristen Herrick


Kristen Herrick 
Class of 2016 
English Major 

Current Job: Professional Academic Advisor, College of Business & Economics and Deciding Students, Ashland University 

Every day I am blessed to work alongside the same staff and collaborate with the same faculty who shaped me from a student into a life-long learner and further encouraged and inspired me to pursue a career in higher education. In my current role, I advise and support incoming freshmen in the College of Business and Economics and students who are still deciding on a major. In the College of Business and Economics there is a wide variety of students, and I enjoy getting to know their individual stories, helping them transition from high school to college, and guiding them in planning their academic journeys. In addition, I get to support students who are still deciding on a major and encourage them to explore their interests and possible careers, while reassuring them that it is okay to be unsure and take time to choose a major.

As an alumna of Ashland University, I have both an employee and student perspective to my advantage when advising in the Center for Academic Support. I am able to share my own amazing experiences as an English major with my advisees and encourage them to pursue a major that aligns with their life calling as I did. Majoring in English prepared me for graduate level coursework, internships, and the daily hurdles I encounter in my career. I was able to complete five internships as an undergraduate and another four at the graduate level. In each of those positions, my supervisors encouraged me to communicate with their valued stakeholders because they knew I had the language and critical thinking skills to effectively and eloquently do so. Furthermore, I continue to use my English background daily to review content that our center creates, address student questions and concerns, and collaborate with other departments on campus.

The English department at Ashland University is filled with passionate professors who truly strive to impact and promote growth in their students. Whether it was working one-on-one with Dr. Donatini to perfect my Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity (URCA) Symposium presentation, meeting with a group of classmates to discuss The Brothers Karamazov at Dr. Weaver’s home, or visiting Dr. Waterman’s office to get feedback on my latest essay, I will neither forget my experiences as an English major nor my professors’ dedication to and interest in me as a student, individual, and human being.