Friday, April 9, 2021

Graduating Senior Spotlight: Part One

The English Department wishes its graduating seniors the best as they apply for jobs and begin the exciting transition to the next chapter of their lives! This post is the first installment in a series to spotlight these seniors, who generously shared their favorite memory of being a major in the English Department and their post-graduation plans.

Lance Larrison


I am an Integrated Language Arts major at Ashland University.

I have many fond memories of my time at Ashland University, so allow me to reflect on several of them very briefly. I began at Ashland University as a CCP student when I was a junior in high school, so I only attended Ashland University full-time for two years after high school. I will never forget how appreciated and valued I felt when the Department Chair -- our beloved Dr. Hilary Donatini -- asked to meet with me personally even as a high school student and welcome me into the department. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't pay homage to our most unique Dr. Weaver. Dr. Weaver's recondite teaching methods stunned and appalled me at first; however, I came to know and love his passionate devotion to literature and his easy-going persona. Lastly, I am most grateful for the way the English Department faculty supported me during my junior year of college when I struggled with significant health disorders. Specifically, Dr. Grady, Dr. Waterman, and Dr. Weaver allowed me extra time on my assignments and worked diligently with me to get me caught up. Through this experience, I realized that in this department, the "Accent is on U!"

I plan to teach AYA Language Arts after graduating from college. While at Ashland, I also attained my ministerial credentials through the Assemblies of God. This allowed me to be employed as the youth pastor at my church about 2 years ago. Between my blossoming careers in youth ministry and teaching young adults, I am looking forward to jumping right into doing what I am most passionate about: investing, influencing, and inspiring young lives for years to come!

Thank you to all of you who have been a part of my Ashland University experience. Best wishes to my fellow seniors, and may God bless you all!

Erin McElligott

I am a Creative Writing and English double major, with a minor in Psychology. I've had a lot of fun times in all of my English classes, from the large literature classes to the smaller workshops. They've all definitely helped me to grow my discussion skills. It was a rewarding but nerve racking process whenever I had to turn in a piece for workshop. I've been able to meet many incredible people. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do specifically after graduation, but some of my possible paths include grant writing, publishing, or possibly even getting a Masters in Library Science. I also hope to possibly get a novel or two published at some point.

Shelby Stoltz

I am an Integrated Language Arts Major.

Some of my favorite memories from my time in the English Department are the class discussions from our literature courses and the meaningful experiences that those discussions fostered. There was a group of us that took nearly all the same literature courses together, creating a sort of learning community that provided a familiarity to class discussions and developed a significant sense of community within the department. I distinctly recall our "Emersonian eyeball" discussions in Dr. Waterman's American Lit courses! I also fondly remember Dr. Saslaw's Shakespeare course and learning so much from her wealth of knowledge and the way she addressed such a wide breadth of modern connections, critical study, and metaphysical inquiries of the texts.

My future plans are to secure a position in a local district teaching ELA in grades 7-12.