Friday, April 16, 2021

Graduating Senior Spotlight: Part Two

The English Department wishes its graduating seniors the best as they apply for jobs and begin the exciting transition to the next chapter of their lives! This post is the second installment in a series to spotlight these seniors, who generously shared their favorite memory of being a major in the English Department and their post-graduation plans.

AnnMarie Hill

I am an English Language Arts Education major with minors in Theatre and Spanish, which has given me a unique experience at Ashland University. 

My favorite memories within the English department specifically would have to be any and all of Dr. Donatini’s classes, especially ENG 404: The English Renaissance and ENG 406: 17th-Century English Literature. In these classes, we read plays and lengthy epic poems like Doctor Faustus, Twelfth Night, Paradise Lost, and The Rover, all of which allowed me to exercise my skills in theatre and literature simultaneously. Dr. Donatini created an atmosphere of respect, intellectual discussion, and love of learning that I strive to emulate in my teaching, along with a sense of immense kindness and care.

As I was planning final projects for my students at my teaching internship this semester, I thought back fondly on these courses and remembered the incredibly fun and creative projects that Dr. Donatini assigned, using them as inspiration in my own classroom. In both of my Shakespeare units, my students were given the option to write their own scenes into the play, reimagine it in a modern setting, or put together their own theatrical vision for a hypothetical production, just as I did in ENG 404 and 406. Having an amazing role model like Dr. Donatini has positively influenced my experience Ashland University in so many ways; she consistently encouraged me to learn as a teacher, grow as a writer, and further my love of literature. Her courses have played an indescribable role in making me the person I am and the educator I will be, and it is for this reason that her classes will always be my favorite memories of the Ashland University English Department.

As for my plans after graduation, I am hoping to stay in the Ashland/Mansfield area, work as a high school English teacher, and enroll in graduate school some time in the near future. I look forward to many years of educating and inspiring the next generations of readers, writers, and thinkers!

Skylar Roberts

I am an Integrated Language Arts and English double major with a Creative Writing minor.

In my time at Ashland University, I have met so many people who have shown me why I love what I chose to do, especially in the English department. I was introduced to different types of texts from different authors in different time periods. I was also able to learn and grow with some of the best professors that I could imagine working with, such as Dr. Russell Weaver, Dr. Jayne Waterman, and several others. The skills and passions that I was able to acquire during my time in the Ashland University English department will help me in all of my future endeavors in and outside of the classroom. The people that I have met in this program have even helped influence me to eventually continue my education. For example, Dr. Maura Grady's teaching strategies as well as text selection for her Literature and Gender course made me realize the true passion that I have for female authors.

Because of this and many other influences, after I teach in a high school classroom for a few years, I plan to go back to school to get my master's and doctorate in Women's Literature. I hope to one day teach at a college level.

Brooke Rush

I am an Integrated Language Arts major with a minor in Creative Writing.

One of my favorite memories is spending my Thursday nights in Dr. Waterman’s American Literature classes with my friends. I really liked having the opportunity to sit among those who were just as passionate about the different eras of literature as I was and gain some new friends while doing so. Another fond memory that I have from the English department is getting to read the work of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Marlowe, and so many more in many of my classes. Before these classes, I had hardly been exposed to the variety and depth of English literature and now I can truly say my favorite playwright is Shakespeare. Dr. Weaver and Dr. Donatini come to mind when I think of these writers and how passionate they are about the work of these great people. Overall, I feel as though I learned so much about myself as a writer and a reader and now I can take my experiences from the English department and apply them to my future lesson plans.

At this current time, I plan on finding a teaching position near my hometown.