Friday, May 8, 2020

Senior Spotlight & Department Honors: Rachel Barkley

The department wishes its graduating seniors the best as they apply for jobs and begin the exciting transition to the next chapter of their lives! This post is the fourth and final installment in a series to spotlight these seniors, who generously shared their favorite memory of being a major in the English Department and their post-graduation plans

Rachel Barkley

I am an English and Creative Writing double major with a French minor. 

My favorite memories of being an English major at AU were definitely taking American Literature I and playing a Reacting to the Past game. This class is where I met many like-minded people who became my best friends at Ashland. I also enjoyed serving as Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta and putting together many events such as theater outings and a writing workshop for local Girl Scouts. Being an English major at Ashland has allowed me to meet many amazing people that I am happy to call my friends. 

After graduation, I hope to work as an editor at a publishing company, but I am open to anything that allows me to use my writing skills. 


Rachel was also honored by the English Department with the Richard Snyder Prize for her Capstone, a poetry collection entitled Grievances Against Women, which she shared with co-winner Kellie Pleshinger.  Congratulations Rachel!